Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Home Sweet Home

As a teacher, I know I take summers for granted. I feel I am entitled to the 8 (or more) weeks off each year to recuperate from the past year and have some time to relax. I have never really thought much of all that time off, other than feeling like it helps justify my low salary. This year, however, because I am changing jobs and districts and calendars, I will have exactly one month off, during which we will have taken an extended camping trip, a 10-day visit to Washington, and a trip to Pagosa Springs, CO, returning the day before my new job begins on July 5. Needless to say, it's one of my fuller, shorter summers.

Having just returned from Washington yesterday and knowing we're leaving Saturday, I'm actually really glad I have these few days home to just be with familiarity. I love travelling and deal just fine with packing and unpacking, but it's nice to not be living out of a suitcase or backpack. Inspired by some recent pictures delivered by Kodak, I've actually pulled out some of my scrapbooking stuff to catch up on the past year. I wouldn't have guessed that I'd want to be doing such a labor-intensive, sedentary activity, but I think I need some time to just reflect and sit. A break from planning and packing and going. I think it is being actively still, as oxymoronic as that sounds.

I can tell Carter was ready for a break from travelling too. He has had to adjust to sleeping in four different locations this past month, not an easy task for a little guy just learning to go to sleep on his own. This morning, he also seemed especially interested in some of his toys, like they were long-time friends he hadn't seen in awhile. Even Mark, who always likes to be on the go, appeared to take a little more pleasure in puttering around than he usually does.

I think I'm going to grab I nice big glass of red wine and see if I can get through a few months worth of pictures. Cheers to appreciating a little time at home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.