Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Carter's Birthday Present

Carter's birthday is one week from today, and I have yet to buy him a present. I was sitting here thinking, how horrible a mother am I? I don't even care enough about my son's birthday to think of a gift, much less buy anything. But I realize that's not the case. Carter is fortunate enough to have grandparents and aunts and uncles that love him so much and want to shower him with whatever toys he might want. We as his parents are lucky enough to be able to provide the basics for him so that he doesn't want for simple things like clothes, good food, and a space of his own.

What I have realized is that it's not that I don't care enough to give him gifts, it's that the gifts that I want to give him are not things you can buy in the store. If I had a wishing well, I would wish the following for Carter for his birthday:
  1. Know he is loved
  2. Believe he can achieve anything in this world
  3. Experience joy every day
  4. Feel safe and trusting of everyone he depends on
  5. See or do something new every day
  6. Be full of wonder about the world we live in
  7. Feel passion for life and what he chooses to do with it
  8. Never want for life's basic needs
Wouldn't it be nice if we could wrap those sorts of things up and give them to our children to open? I only hope that in some little way I'm able to give these things to him each day.

No comments: