Sunday, May 20, 2007

The little things in life


This weekend Mark was out of town, so it was Carter and I on our own. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but it was supposed to be beautiful weather and I was in a good mood, so I was determined to have fun. And I did. This weekend was not about conquering any major life goals or having major adventures to tell about. It was about enjoying the little things in life. Saturday morning, I put on Raffi (a kid's CD that I listened to when I was little, so I knew all the words) and made cookies. I sang at the top of my lungs, and Carter did his best to follow along. We danced and jumped and twirled in the living room. Between the singing and the dancing, we made and ate chocolate chip cookie dough. You would have thought we won the lottery at 6:30am this Saturday. We were the two happiest souls in that living room. Here's a picture of Carter getting his first taste of cookie dough.

We also had lots of people over to eat, something I enjoy doing when I have the time to prepare and have a clean house. We had "the grandmas" over for lunch on Saturday, and we had a lovely time eating out on the deck. It made me proud to be able to have them over in my house on the deck Mark built with the little boy I'm raising. One of my best friends, Amy, also came over for one of the last times because she is moving to PA. Carter even gave us the gift of taking a two hour nap so she and I could have some time to talk. Lastly, we had our friends Dave and Kelly over tonight for dinner, and they have a new baby. After dinner I had a chance to hold Wyatt, and as soon as he was in my arms, Carter broke down. I've never seen him show jealousy before, but it was as clear as if he said it. It made me wonder what it will be like to eventually have a second kid. Not easy, I'm thinking.

Since Amy finally showed me how to post pictures, I have a few other precious ones to share with you. They show some of those little things in life not to take for granted. Mark may not approve of one (I'm sure you can guess which) but it's just too cute to keep to myself.

This is Mark teaching Carter just how fun sitting on the toilet can be if you've got something good to read.


Mark and Carter fiddling with the grill.

No comments: